Choosing a Career Path

Deciding what you want to do with the rest of your life at the age of eighteen is a very difficult decision.  When I was eighteen I decided to continue my education in the field of Hotel, Restaurant, Tourism Management.  The last requirement before graduating was to complete an internship in a hotel.  May of my senior year, I left for Washington, D.C. and lived in the hotel I worked in for the summer.  After returning back to Long Island I started my career as a Front Desk Agent at the Marriott Hotel in Melville.  After working there for three months I decided I wanted to concentrate in the reservations department and was offered a position at the five star St. Regis Hotel in New York City.  I was now a commuter and living the life of a city business woman at the age of 22.  Within nine months, the minimum amount of time required by the company before a promotion, I was granted the position as the Reservations/Training Supervisor.  I was overseeing my department of veterans and they were to answer to the rookie.  This became a large challenge because many of the reservations agents undermined me and my experience because of my age.  I worked very hard to prove myself and jealousy ended up getting the best of my colleagues.  During my time as a supervisor, I created a training manual and trained all incoming employees to the hotel.  I loved teaching people about the topics I was experienced in and was excited about sharing my knowledge.  This opened my eyes to the world of teaching.  After two years of working at the hotel I left the industry and started working as a Computer Technology Teaching Assistant at Hicksville Middle School.  I wanted to get experience working in a school and make sure that this is where my passion was.  The following semester I enrolled in classes at Queens College and have been here ever since.  As of right now I couldn’t be happier with the life I have chosen for myself, regardless of my current unemployment status.  Choosing a career at the age of eighteen is a difficult, but not permanent, decision.  Life is constantly changing so follow your heart and you’ll end up just where you’re supposed to be.